Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Perspective is a clarifying lens....

Today I was happily taking the first day of vacation in a long time. Close to mid-morning the phone rings and I hear my wife quietly sobbing while speaking to my son, who is a junior this year. She tells me that the students at his school were just told of a fellow classmate who took his own life yesterday.

Perspective is a clarifying lens.

The issues I had been contemplating related to professional projects, strained relationships, and irritating work matters all become so trivial when seen through this filter. What I thought to be of consequence has become nearly offensive when compared to the grief this family is now suffering. I wrote "IT IS YOUR ATTITUDE" to help discern the meaningful from the trivial. I am very clear again. Love your family, love your neighbor and love yourself.

No comments: