Sunday, July 12, 2009

Under Attack by Suzanne B. Leitner


Under Attack, 2001
- by Suzanne Baldwin Leitner

When I hear the paws of doubt
come around
claws ragged, pads worn
from scratching at my door
I know hunger drives
this wild dog to my
house. And sorrow. Hunger
and the smell of burning.
Rain blinds it, makes it stop
and sniff at every bush and stump
for a rabbit or scrap
or scent. Its coat is matted
with blood of things it has battled
and dirt from wallowing in holes.
I have to let it in, this wolf
with the high belly, tense haunches
to show it I am not afraid. I know
if I feed it, soothe it
whisper to it
in low tones of the opposites
that lie with, in each other, it
will tame itself back
into the spirit of faith
it used to be.
Then, I might again be me.


In the final analysis, your attitude determines your effectiveness in everything, every time! LGL

No comments: